[Tweeters] Edmonds Slaty-backed Gull

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 19:48:48 PDT 2015

Hello Tweets,
I must have just missed Ted this afternoon when I went back with my DSLR to
try to get some better shots. I haven't heard too much interest outside of
the Snohomish county birders, but if anyone is interested in chasing the
bird it seems to be sticking around and present beginning shortly before
high tide. It can hide pretty well among the hundreds of gulls if it faces
the wrong direction, but generally its dark gray back make it easy to pick
out.

After a few local birders spent some time looking at the bird yesterday. In
general the bird looks very good for Slaty-Backed, with eye color, leg
color (pale pink), primary extension, bill size and shape, and mantle color
all looking good for that species. The other option that's still in play is
Lesser Black-Backed Gull that's showing pale pink legs for some reason.
Apparently this isn't unheard of. The thing going for LBBG is the very thin
tertial crescent.

This bird seems very intent on not flying or stretching its wings while
cameras are pointed its way, but if anyone gets a photo of the bird in
flight or spreading its wings I'd appreciate it.

Herring and Thayer's Gull's are also rare in Edmonds so if you get a photo
of any in this spot I'm sure Carol Riddell would love to get photos of
either species if you run into them in Edmonds.

A few of today's photos are here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/beastofexmoor/

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA