[Tweeters] What Is YOUR Nemesis Bird??

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 10:59:46 PDT 2015

Many birders have stories of birds that they have seeked many times, year after year and place after place, and missed. By Gary Bletsch's definition, I don't have a true nemesis. But I do have two species that come very close: Swamp Sparrow and Franklin's Gull.

I have tried for Swamps 3 times: at the Montlake Fill, at Crescent Lake near Monroe, and at Reifel Bird Sanctuary near Vancouver, BC where two confiding birds had been seen all this winter. At all places, I dipped, and at the two latter places, birders had reported seeing two or more. That's one species in hoping for this winter!

Franklin's Gull: I first tried for one of these at Marymoor last autumn, but I could not pick it out of the various gulls wandering around and poking at the soccer fields. Then, again at Crescent Lake on the same Swampless day this February, I dipped on one that had been seen in nearby fields. That day I also dipped on Rusty Blackbird (by 40 minutes! It had been bathing in a puddle beside the trail, as Marv Breece told me, so that bird is halfway to being a nemesis). At least I saw my lifer White-throated Sparrow near the end of my visit! I am excited to try for all these birds and more this winter season.

Good bidding (and good luck with nemeses), Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com