[Tweeters] Cedar river mouth yesterday

kayliningalls at gmail.com kayliningalls at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 20:32:50 PDT 2015

Hello tweets!
Sorry that I didn't post this yesterday, but I wanted to get an ID on this weird gull that I saw at the Cedar river mouth yesterday. It was tentatively IDed as a THAYER'S, but if any have a different opinion, tell me!
Here's a photo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127653321@N02/21708053595/in/dateposted-public/

Anyway, I was there at the same time as another birder who, based on his earlier Tweeters post, was Jeff Bryant! We were looking around and seeing nothing but some Killdeer, that weird gull, a heron and the assorted ducks and other gulls, (there was a small flock of GREATER SCAUP, a FOS for me, as well as some NORTHERN PINTAILS, and others.)
Anyway, we saw that WESTERN SANDPIPER on a log, who if he hadn't moved no one would have seen. It just goes to show that Peeps know what they're doing when it comes to camo!
We were just leaving, having no more time, when Jeff calls us back, having seen a BAIRD'S SANDPIPER!! I think it was scared of us, because as soon as we ran back, it disappeared, but with a bit of patience we were rewarded with looks at this great bird!! Thanks to Jeff for calling us back and spotting it!
Photo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127653321@N02/21087126223/in/dateposted-public/

After that great sighting we had to head back home.