[Tweeters] What Is YOUR Nemesis Bird??

Steve Loitz steveloitz at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 13:14:11 PDT 2015

Great Gray Owl for me. Pretty sure we saw one near Mt. Prophet in NCNP a
few years but it wasn't a positive ID.

It's interesting when I read about fellow tweeters having trouble seeing
White-tailed Ptarmigan, Townsend's Solitaire, Black Swift, Hermit Thrush,
Golden Eagle and other mountain species that I see or hear every year in my
mountain travels.

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 12:57 PM, Josh Adams <xjoshx at gmail.com> wrote:

> A great discussion question from Blair.

> I may indeed be the birder he's referring to when he talks about Ruffed

> Grouse. RUGR is the last code 2 species I need for Snohomish County. I've

> had White-Tailed Ptarmigan in the county. I see dozens of Sooty Grouse

> every year in the mountains. I even added Ruffed to my list once based on a

> distant bird that crossed the road in front of me, but I removed it later

> deciding it was probably just a Sooty. If you know where to find this

> "common" grouse in Snohomish county I'd love to hear about it.

> I've been pretty lucky this year to have a pattern of missing birds on one

> trip only to end up finding them somewhere else a few months later.

> Bachman's Sparrow and American Woodcock were both like this.

> Right now two birds remain at the top of my should-have-gotten-that like,

> but I've never missed them enough to make them true nemesis birds.

> Cape May Warbler - I spent almost a week in North Dakota last year during

> peak migration. I picked up a very obliging Connecticut Warbler, but missed

> this common migrant. Since then I've missed them by a day or two in Texas

> and North Carolina.

> Lesser Black-Backed Gull - I've never been truly in their range at a good

> time of year, but I've had a possibility of picking them up in Louisiana,

> Texas, and Deleware, but have struck out each time.

> Josh Adams

> Lynnwood, WA

Steve Loitz
Seattle, WA