[Tweeters] What Is YOUR Nemesis Bird??

Josh Adams xjoshx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 12:57:52 PDT 2015

A great discussion question from Blair.

I may indeed be the birder he's referring to when he talks about Ruffed
Grouse. RUGR is the last code 2 species I need for Snohomish County. I've
had White-Tailed Ptarmigan in the county. I see dozens of Sooty Grouse
every year in the mountains. I even added Ruffed to my list once based on a
distant bird that crossed the road in front of me, but I removed it later
deciding it was probably just a Sooty. If you know where to find this
"common" grouse in Snohomish county I'd love to hear about it.

I've been pretty lucky this year to have a pattern of missing birds on one
trip only to end up finding them somewhere else a few months later.
Bachman's Sparrow and American Woodcock were both like this.

Right now two birds remain at the top of my should-have-gotten-that like,
but I've never missed them enough to make them true nemesis birds.

Cape May Warbler - I spent almost a week in North Dakota last year during
peak migration. I picked up a very obliging Connecticut Warbler, but missed
this common migrant. Since then I've missed them by a day or two in Texas
and North Carolina.

Lesser Black-Backed Gull - I've never been truly in their range at a good
time of year, but I've had a possibility of picking them up in Louisiana,
Texas, and Deleware, but have struck out each time.

Josh Adams
Lynnwood, WA