[Tweeters] Peregrine eating gull

Gary Bletsch garybletsch at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 20:36:53 PDT 2015

Dear Tweeters,
On August 30th, just a few weeks ago, I was surprised to see a juvenile Peregrine Falcon fly up from a gull carcass along the Rockport-Cascade Road, in rural eastern Skagit County. This was directly under some huge power lines that cross the road, near lower Illabot Creek.
The young Peregrine flew to a nearby tree and perched there, just as I drove up to the carcass. Then I noticed an adult Peregrine perched silently along the roadside. Soon, the young falcon commenced calling. Four Turkey Vultures flew into view a moment later, coming from upriver.
I think the dead gull was a California Gull, but I wasn't sure.
Maybe the gull had died striking the wires, and the falcons had been feeding on it. That would jive with the sudden appearance of the vultures. Or perhaps one of the falcons had killed the gull.
Unfortunately, a minute later, before I could make sense of the evidence, a man and a woman drove up, climbed out of their car, and engaged in some loud billingsgate, right in the middle of this lonely stretch of roadway, whereupon I fled the scene.
So, maybe it was a case of Peregrines eating carrion, maybe it wasn't.
Yours truly,
Gary Bletsch