Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 24 14:36:01 PDT 2015

Tweets – a truly gorgeous morning, with only occasional thin overcast, but mostly blue skies. Jupiter (or Saturn???) was really bright this morning until about 7:00. The day was birdy, with some really nice looks at common species. With the great viewing weather, we also managed some distant identifications that added to our species count. Nothing too unusual, but a really fine day.

Highlights:

Gr. White-fronted Goose 2 with Canadas, NE fields
Western Grebe 1-2 well out on lake. First for 2015
Wilson’s Snipe 2 below weir, flew circles around us
Band-tailed Pigeon A couple of sightings
Barn Owl Heard near windmill, glimpses from Viewing Mound
- all five woodpeckers - Though Hairy and Pileated only glimpsed, barely heard
Violet-green Swallow 1 seen well, maybe more
Barn Swallow At least 2-3
Pacific Wren Spontaneously singing, visible,
Big Cottonwood Forest – First of Fall
Varied Thrush One overhead
Orange-crowned Warbler 1 west of East Meadow
Common Yellowthroat 1 heard, 1 seen
Yellow Warbler 1 near mansion
Yellow-rumped Warbler 10-20, including 1 Myrtle’s

This is the earliest fall sighting we’ve ever had for PACIFIC WREN, and among the latest fall sightings for VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOW and YELLOW WARBLER.

We also had 2 MULE DEER on the far side of the slough downstream of the weir.

For the day, 62 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com