[Tweeters] Cedar River Mouth this afternoon

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:02:40 PDT 2015

Hello Tweets,

Since I was lucky enough to get out of school early today, I thought it would be a great time to check out the Cedar River mouth. When I arrived at 1:30 PM, it appeared at first to be stunningly quiet. Though a raft (I prefer the term "flotilla") of coots was entertaining, but the only shorebirds to be noted in the first few minutes were Killdeers, to my dismay.

A pair of FOS Northern Pintails were nice, and then a pair of juvenile Greater White-fronted Geese appeared among the coots. But there were still no sandpipers in view. Finally, I spotted a juvenile Pectoral Sandpiper! A few minutes later, another peep appeared, preening and then settling down into the rocks. If I hadn't looked closer at those river-pebbles strewn across the center island, I would have never seen it! Anyone planning on birding at the Mouth would do well to check these rocks for additional resting sandpipers.

When that bird started to move around, I studied it some more and finally confirmed my hopes that it was, indeed, a juvenile Baird's! The Baird's Sandpiper later flew behind a stump and out of sight, but the Pectoral was still well-visible when I left at 2:35 PM. Good times! Even though I've fallen through on my promises before, I will try my best to upload pictures of the geese and both sandpipers, as soon as possible.

One last note: the gulls are starting to amass again on the outer islands! I didn't spot anything rare, but then again I didn't study them too well. Unfortunately, among them were two dead gulls. Their carcasses were splayed across another outer island. I wonder what killed two birds in one spot? (I highly doubt it was one stone.)

Hope you enjoyed reading my post, and that it wasn't too long! I'm working on my brevity, you can trust me on that.

Good birding, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA