[Tweeters] Long Beach visit / Caryn/Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sun Sep 20 20:25:14 PDT 2015

Hi Tweeters -

Got back from Long Beach on Friday. Did not see the prolific quantity of birds I had hoped or expected. I did see Sooty Shearwaters (not in the huge numbers as last year) along with many Brown Pelicans diving up a storm just off shore.

On the way there, the Osprey nest on the tpole on the Chehalis River had a "squatter" and saw another Osprey in a snag nearby. When we got to Elma, a Redtail hawk lifted off the ground with some prey it had just snagged. I am curious about the new Birders Guide not showing Black Lake (can't find my previous version). There was an Osprey nest there and one Osprey which stayed on a branch while we scoped it. There was a Blue Heron and several gulls. Apparently according to the Birder's Guide to Coastal WA listed Black Lake - right as you enter Il Waco. Is it not a sight which is dependable? In Bob Morse's book it sounded like Trumpeter Swan's winter there.

Long Beach had a few small groups of peeps which we enjoyed thru the scope - Sanderlings and Western Sandpipers and a few SP Plovers and gulls sp. It was fun to stand still and have the sanderlings nearly come right up to us. Enjoyed scoping them to see the detail of feathers, etc.

I think I might have seen a Northern shrike on a wire, but it flew as I stopped. It did have a crossed bill and markings that made me think it was a shrike.

Had two female and one male Pheasant on the grounds where we stayed. We also heard pigeons (Eurasian?), had chestnut backed chicadees, white crowned sparrows and a few vultures - Turkey and maybe black?

I stopped into the Willipa NWR and looked at the nice collection of taxidermied birds (many faded now). The woman there after I commented how "quiet" it was said they don't expect migrants until October. I have heard otherwise. It would be great to have another reason to go to the beach! Beyond the mushroom festivals of course!

Oh, on the way home on the freeway in Tacoma saw a hawk on a lightpost. It was very dark with a light edged tail. The only one that looked to fit the part but not in range was a Harris Hawk. Any help on this id? It was quite large too. Saw it only from the back side.

Wished we'd gotten to Tokeland this time. But we had nice weather, good food, and saw some good friends. Shop Oysterville when you can.

Thanks -

Caryn / Wedgwood (ready to go back to the beach!)