[Tweeters] Cedar River mouth Marbled Godwit yes and then no! (King Co., 9-20-2015)

Evan Houston evanghouston at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:07:34 PDT 2015

Hi Tweeters,

I arrived on site this afternoon around 5:15pm, and I hustled to catch up
to Marv Breece, who had arrived on the scene seconds earlier. I'm glad I
hurried, because just as we got to the observation area, we looked up and
luckily spotted the Marbled Godwit in flight! It gave good views and
called several times, but climbed in the air heading south, and did not
appear to be coming back. Marv and I agreed that neither of us had ever
cut it quite that close!

This spot might be fun to watch on a stormy day over the next month or 2.
During the 45 minutes I was there, a flock of 6 Black-bellied Plovers (not
easy in King Co.) flew by, and my first-of-fall Cackling Goose flock flew
over, heading south slowly into the wind. Other shorebirds on site were:
Pectoral (1), Western, Least, and Spotted Sandpipers, and Killdeer.

Good birding,
Evan Houston
Seattle, WA