[Tweeters] Westport Pelagic Trip, Sept. 18, 2015

Bruce LaBar blabar at harbornet.com
Sat Sep 19 18:04:14 PDT 2015

Yesterday, the VENT tour group, led by Bob Sundstrom, took their annual pelagic trip out of Westport. With a high wind forecast for later in the day, Captain Phil Anderson decided to go to the Willipa Canyon. We usually head straight out to Grays Canyon but Phil thought the wind would be more in our favor coming back. It was definitely bumpy going out but his foresight worked coming back. We also had fishing boats to the south of us and shrimp boats way north, which probably led to lower totals of seabirds for this trip. However, we had good looks at most of the birds expected and later found one shrimper with about a thousand birds behind it that helped for viewing. The bird highlights include: one Buller’s Shearwater, one Manx Shearwater, five Short-tailed Shearwaters, three South Polar Skuas and three Arctic Terns. Mammal highlights include: four Humpbacked Whales, one that kept breaching his whole body out of the water! and seven Dall’s Porpoise. Westport Seabird leaders were Scott Mills and me. Boat personnel and spotters were Phil and Chris Anderson.

For more information and reservations for our final 4 trips of the season, please visit our website at www.westportseabirds.com

Bird list

Surf Scoter-11
White-winged Scoter-9