Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Thu Sep 17 14:50:45 PDT 2015

Tweets – This was one of those times when I have trouble sleeping because it rains all night, and I wake up worrying about being prepared for the deluge in the morning, only to have the rain stop well before dawn and not start up again until late morning. Matt got a little wet with his ridiculously early arrival, and we had a bit of light rain at the Rowing Club, but otherwise we lucked out. It was even moderately birdy to boot, with some nice surprises. Definitely getting to be fall, though.

Highlights:

Green-winged Teal Small flyby flock – First of Fall
Double-crested Cormorant 2 at lake – First of Fall
Osprey Still one around, according to Ollie
American Coot Small flock on lake
COMMON TERN Two WELL south on lake
Barn Owl Matt had 1, 6:00-6:10 a.m. I got there at 6:15
R.-breasted Sapsucker At least 2
Pileated Woodpecker 1 glimpsed twice, heard often
Merlin Landed near east end of boardwalk
Hammond’s Flycatcher Ollie had one in Pea Patch
HUTTON’S VIREO Rowing Club parking lot
- swallow sp. - About 3 seen well to the east
Swainson’s Thrush Matt heard a few pre-dawn
Varied Thrush 1 calling, Big Cottonwood Forest – First of Fall
American Pipit Flyovers
Orange-crowned Warbler Three in/near the Pea Patch
Yellow-rumped Warbler Several in slough below weir – First of Fall
Fox Sparrow 2-3, one singing – First of Fall

We saw the two COMMON TERNS from the Lake Platform at extreme distance. They looked very small and tern-like, but never plunged into the water. Because they were surface-foraging without diving, we thought they might be Bonaparte’s Gulls, but from Marymoor they appeared pure white. In fact, in at least 20 minutes of viewing, I never once saw either one dive. However, they both were frequently making swirling swoops where they would suddenly turn and drop the the surface but then just dip their bills at the surface. I expect there was some kind of insect they were picking off the surface. From Idylwood Park, down the west side of Lake Sammamish from Marymoor, I was able to see the birds well and determine that they were juvenile Common Terns, and not gulls.

As for the HUTTON’S VIREO, I don’t know how Matt picked out some vocalizations over the loud road noise off West Lake Samm. Parkway. But I played the song, and then the call. The vireo came straight in, quite aggressively, to the call.

While COMMON TERN and HUTTON’S VIREO have each been seen fewer than 10 times at Marymoor, amazingly neither of these was new for the year.

For the day, a quite respectable 64 species.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com