[Tweeters] Varied Thrush

Joshua Glant josh.n.glant at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 06:50:08 PDT 2015

I also had my first Varied Thrush of the season in my yard on September 15th! A female was calling in a fruiting grove of trees in my yard, along with a few Swainson's Thrushes and robins, all gorging themselves on berries! I got a poor picture through the leaves, but I am happy nonetheless that I saw the thrush. A welcome harbinger of the winter to come, and of all the wonderful birds it has to offer!

Not 30 minutes later, my father gave me a bird article that he had cut out from the September 2015 UW magazine for me to read. And what other bird was plastered across the page but a female Varied Thrush, feasting on red berries! What was this article? "High Fliers", by Gregg Thompson. It spoke about Connie Sidles' class at the UW Botanic Gardens, Where Do Birds Come From?

In the article, the pupils flap their arms in an effort to lift off into the air. But alas, the exercise is in vain. Their futile arm movements cannot lift them off the ground, for they are not adapted to fly.

If only by flapping our arms, we could gain the likeness of birds. Oh, how glorious the power of flight would be! And perhaps the avian form would afford a bit more agility to our awkward earth-bound forms.

Just yesterday afternoon, I was backing up to get a better look at a thrush in the same berry-banquet grove of trees in which I had seen the Varied Thrush two days prior; unfortunately, I forgot about the moss-covered rock behind me until my legs knocked into it and, in a flash of panicked confusion, I toppled over backwards and hit the ground with a hard thud.

After a moment of embarrassment, I managed to stand up with a bit of pain in my left leg. Thankfully, due to my quick instinct of raising the hand holding my binoculars as I collapsed, nothing was damaged except for my pride, and no fellow members of my species were around to laugh at my literal fall from grace (though the giggling of twenty waxwings, as they went about their business of devouring treetop-dwelling gnats and berries, was more than enough to make me chuckle at my own small accident).

Surely, a bird wouldn't be clumsy enough to have such a painful mishap - right?

Wishing to fly, Joshua Glant

Mercer Island, WA

Josh.n.glant at gmail.com