[Tweeters] Edmonds Prairie falcon ???????? 9-3-15

Bill Anderson billandersonbic at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 16 09:29:36 PDT 2015

 I took photos of a raptor flying over the Edmonds marsh on 9-3-15 and posted them on the website where I regularly post my bird photos.  The  photos were poor due to the distances involved.  I believed the bird was a juvie peregrine falcon, since they are native to this area and I have photographed peregrines many times in Edmonds.
Some Tweetsters have viewed my photos and suggested it may be a prairie falcon, unusual for the Puget Sound region.  I have enlarged and reposted the photos on the website.    They can be seen by scrolling down page 52 to post #514. http://www.pnwphotos.com/forum/showthread.php?11497-Wildlife-of-Edmonds-WA-2015/page52

If the bird is a prairie falcon and taking into account the broad-winged hawk I photographed at Pt. Edwards five days later, some interesting questions arise.  Have the massive wildfires on eastern Washington driven these birds west over the Cascades?    If so, will they take up residence here?  Will other species normally seen east of the Cascades start showing up here as well?

Late summer has seen several unusual visitors to the Edmonds Birdmuda Triangle.   It started with the brown booby and continued with the prairie(?) falcon and broad-winged hawk.  The latest visitor has been a willet.  There are five days of summer remaining, so I will be keeping my eyes and mind open to more new visitors.    Bill Anderson; Edmonds, WA. USA