[Tweeters] Long-billed Curlew at base of March Point (Skagit Co.)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Sun Sep 13 08:56:34 PDT 2015

Tweeters,

Yesterday, September 12, I observed a LONG-BILLED CURLEW on the mudflats on
the east side of March Point in Anacortes, looking toward the Swinomish
spoil islands. The bird was at least 400 yards away, but was easily
identified through the scope by its large size, extremely long bill, and
cinnamon-tinged underparts. This was only my second-ever sighting in Skagit
County; my first was on April 6th this year, at the same locality.

Checking eBird, I was surprised to find that Ryan Merrill saw a Long-billed
Curlew at the same location on August 11th and again on August 30th.
However, my sighting appears to be the first ever in eBird for Skagit County
in September. Long-billed Curlews are early fall migrants; most of them have
left BC and Washington by early August.

Also of interest, at Crockett Lake in Island County, were one AMERICAN
GOLDEN-PLOVER on the flats, and a flock of 5 migrant HORNED LARKS foraging
on the gravel road close to the beach, south of the lagoon.

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC

contopus at telus.net