[Tweeters] In the news

Denis DeSilvis avnacrs4birds at outlook.com
Fri Sep 11 10:40:07 PDT 2015

The WDFW puts out press releases, to which anyone can subscribe. Most
environmentally related organizations receive these as a matter of course.
If you're interested in getting stuff like this, all you have to do is
subscribe.

May all your birds be identified,

Denis DeSilvis
Roy, WA
avnacrs4birds at outlook dot com
---
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
Sept. 8, 2015
Contact: Gerald Hayes (360) 902-2371
WDFW seeks input on proposed protective status
of snowy plovers, northern spotted owls
OLYMPIA - State wildlife managers are seeking public comment on draft status
reviews that recommend keeping snowy plovers and northern spotted owls on
the state endangered species list.
The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) periodically reviews
the status of protected species in the state. The public can comment through
Dec. 8 on the listing recommendations and recently updated status reports
for the snowy plover and spotted owl.
The draft review on the snowy plover is available online at
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01751/, while the draft review for the
northern spotted owl can be found online at
http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01752/ .
Written comments on the reviews and recommendations can be submitted via
email to TandEpubliccom at dfw.wa.gov or by mail to Gerald Hayes, Washington
Department of Fish and Wildlife, 600 Capitol Way N., Olympia, WA 98501-1091.

WDFW staff members plan to discuss the reviews and recommendations with the
Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission at its January 2016 meeting, when a
public hearing also is tentatively scheduled. The commission, a citizen
panel appointed by the governor to set policy for WDFW, will make the final
determination sometime next year. For meeting dates and times, check the
commission webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/ .
The snowy plover is a small bird with gray wings and a white breast that
lives mostly in coastal areas of Washington. In 1993, the state listed snowy
plovers as endangered and the federal government listed the species as
threatened. Although the snowy plover population appears to be increasing on
the west coast, the population in Washington is still small.
Factors affecting snowy plovers in Washington include habitat decline, human
disturbance during nesting season, and low productivity due to predation on
eggs and chicks. Efforts are ongoing to improve snowy plover habitat and
reduce disruptions during nesting season.
The northern spotted owl was listed as an endangered species in Washington
state in 1988. This species is found in mature and old coniferous forest
from coastal areas to the eastern slopes of the Cascade Range.
At the time of listing, the most important factor influencing the spotted
owl was loss of habitat, primarily due to timber harvest. In recent years,
the closely related barred owl, which out-competes the spotted owl for
resources, has expanded its range and is contributing to the continued
population decline of spotted owls in Washington.
A variety of management actions are underway to protect spotted owls in
Washington and elsewhere within their range, including an attempt to remove
barred owls from spotted owl territories at four study areas across the
Pacific Northwest.
Forty-six species of fish and wildlife are listed for protection as state
endangered, threatened or sensitive species.