[Tweeters] Marymoor Park 2015-09-09

Michael Hobbs birdmarymoor at frontier.com
Wed Sep 9 12:50:50 PDT 2015

Tweets – No, it’s not Thursday, but lots of other locations have had great warbler fall-outs recently, so I thought I’d drop down to Marymoor this morning to get mine. Pretty much totally dipped on that score, but had a VERY interesting day anyway.

Highlights:

Sharp-shinned Hawk First since May
American Coot Only 2nd since April
Vaux’s Swift Large numbers: 25+
Hairy Woodpecker 1-2
WESTERN SCRUB-JAY 1-2; sixth park record
Violet-green Swallow Several; first in a month
BANK SWALLOW At least 2 at lake; third park record
Barn Swallow At least 100
Golden-crowned Sparrow 1 at Pea Patch; First of Fall

>From the lake platform, I saw a WESTERN SCRUB-JAY fly east across the river. Later I heard one from between the south end of the Dog Meadow and the East Meadow. Very soon after, one flew out of the trees by the Eastside Audubon shed in the East Meadow. I don’t think that was the calling bird. Western Scrub-Jay sightings, though few at Marymoor, are beginning to show a pattern, with 5 of 6 records from late-August through early-October. This corresponds pretty well with the hazelnut crop, though there may also simply be some post-breeding dispersal.

The lake was aswarm with swallows, mostly BARN, but with a handful of VIOLET-GREENS. Then I heard, and later saw at least two BANK SWALLOWS. Based on the timing of sightings, these seem to be birds feeding in pre-migration.

As for my hoped-for warblers and other small neotropical migrants: Besides a few COMMON YELLOWTHROATS, I had exactly 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 1 YELLOW WARBLER, 1 WILLOW FLYCATCHER, 1 WARBLING VIREO, 1-2 SWAINSON’S THRUSH and 1-2 BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK. I hope tomorrow will be better for those.

For the day, 54 species, despite not starting until 8, and running at a faster-than-normal clip, and despite birding solo. An astonishing 10 species that weren’t seen last Thursday included a park Year Bird – the Western Scrub-Jay – which brings us to 145 species for the year.

== Michael Hobbs
== www.marymoor.org/birding.htm
== BirdMarymoor at frontier.com