[Tweeters] North Sound Shorebirds 8/31-9/1

Sam G Terry sgt3 at uw.edu
Wed Sep 2 13:27:07 PDT 2015

Hi tweeters,

I did a loop from Skagit through Whidbey to Port Townsend and Marrowstone
Island birding with Rex Gaoaen on Monday 8/31 and Tuesday 9/1. We dodged
the showers and ended up seeing 21 species of shorebirds - which is mostly
what we spent our time looking for. The Skagit Game Range had decent
numbers of yellowlegs and dowitchers in the first hour after high tide, and
there were tons of peeps off of Jensen Access but they were already too far
out to pick through.

Highlights (shorebirds and otherwise) are listed below:

Channel Drive
Bank Swallow - 3

March Point
Long-billed Curlew - 1 - reported by Ryan Merrill on ebird - mudflats
from E March Point Rd.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1 juv - in saltmarsh inside Crandall Spit on the
NW side.

Dugualla Bay
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1
Bank Swallow - 1

Hastie Lake Road
Marbled Godwit - 3 on the beach to the north associating with a flock of
gulls.

Crockett Lake
The water level was higher than last week and there were loads of peeps all
around but not a ton of diversity. Nearly all Westerns - probably roughly
750. Also present were:
Sanderling - 5
Pectoral Sandpipers - 5
Great Egret - 1
Short-eared Owl - 1

Keystone Ferry
Red-necked Phalaropes - 4

Kah Tai Lagoon
Wilson's Phalarope - 1 - previously reported by Dan Waggoner on ebird.

Ft. Flagler State Park
Whimbrel - 1 - South of the spit at low tide.

Good birding,

Sam Terry
Seattle