[Tweeters] Winter hummingbird feeding

Christine Southwick clsouth at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 30 13:43:48 PST 2015

I have used that method, but always hated getting sticky taking off the tape and replacing the hand warmers.

I wrap non-LED christmas lights, which generate some heat, around the feeder, that way I don't have to bring in the feeder, or worry about taking back it out in time. I have another feeder under the eaves near a 75 watt light bulb--during wet cold spells an Anna's will often sit there.

During the cold months, I also take off the bee protectors on one or more of the ports, to allow the chickadees, (and any other birds) access. Yesterday I saw a Chestnut-backed (CBCH) and two Black-capped (BCCH) waiting their turns to drink nectar. Pretty creative. Fast energy without the bother of tooth decay!

Christine Southwick
N Seattle/Shoreline
clsouthwick at q.com

On Mon, 30 Nov 2015, Mike DeRosa wrote:

> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 13:15:19 -0800

> From: Mike DeRosa <mike at nwsm.biz>

> To: tweeters at u.washington.edu

> Subject: [Tweeters] Winter hummingbird feeding

> I have a family of Ana's that live at my place year round. On freezing nights I bring my feeders in and I make sure I put them out before daylight. On the days that do not reach

> above freezing I will tape a couple of hand warmers to the bottom of the feeders to keep them thawed all day. I think the hummingbirds enjoy the extra warmth during the cold

> days and they will sit on the feeder soaking up the heat from the hand warmers. I buy a big box of hand warmers at Costco and they will normally last a couple of years.

> Thanks,

> Mike DeRosa

Christine Southwick
Pharmacy Administration
University of Washington Medical Center
Box 356015
1959 NE Pacific Street
Seattle, WA 98195-6015
phone: 206-598-7398; fax 206-598-6075

This electronic message transmission contains information which may be
confidential or privileged. The information is intended to be for the
use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic transmission in error, please delete this message. Thank you.