[Tweeters] Vashon Ash-throated Flycatcher

Ed Swan edswan2 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 28 20:40:40 PST 2015

This morning Erik Steffens sent me photos of an Ash-throated Flycatcher taken at his house on the Matsuda Farm preserve of the Vashon-Maury Island Land Trust. I think Gary Shugart will get one or more photos on ebird and one photo is at the Vashon Nature Center Facebook page.

I sent photos on to Matt Bartells who sent them on to additional experts. Opinions were leaning mostly towards Ash-throated but other possibilities aren't all ruled out yet. Matt might have some more comments or an update on that.

This bird was probably seen at nearby Vashon High School on Friday by Alan Warneke. It was missed by birders later in the day today after the photos were taken at the Matsuda place but hopefully it will stick around.

This Land Trust preserve is a new addition and has been churning out great birds such as Western Bluebird, Western Meadowlark, kestrel and more recently. Erik Steffens lives there and has been reporting and photo documenting rarity after rarity for Vashon Island. I wonder what all we have missed over the years before this given what it has produced over the last year or so. It's about a mile west of Vashon Highway on the north side of Cemetery Road.

Ed

Ed Swan
Nature Writer and Guide
edswan2 at comcast.net