[Tweeters] ANCIENT MURRELET bonanza at Point Roberts (Whatcom Co.)

Wayne Weber contopus at telus.net
Thu Nov 19 10:29:04 PST 2015

Birders,

Yesterday, under ideal conditions (no wind, flat sea), I spent more than 3
hours birding at Lighthouse Marine Park in Point Roberts, most of the time
with Janice Melendez (visiting from Whitby, ON) and Vince Knight of North
Vancouver. We didn't see any Ancient Murrelets for the first 1.5 hours, but
then a flock of 5 appeared on the water, about 400 metres off shore but
close enough to identify with certainty. After a few minutes, they
disappeared, but soon several flocks, ranging in size from 5 to 20 birds,
flew by, going in a NW direction (toward the ferry terminal). We estimated a
total of 55 birds. Also present in the area were at least 25 COMMON MURRES,
4 MARBLED MURRELETS, and one PIGEON GUILLEMOT (the last one at the Point
Roberts Marina). Also on the beach in front of us at the lighthouse for
quite a while were 49 BLACK TURNSTONES, 20 SANDERLINGS, 5 DUNLIN, and 7
SURFBIRDS. (This was only my second-ever sighting of Surfbird at Point
Roberts, probably the same 7 that were at the marina 2 weeks ago.) Janice
and Vince got lots of photos of the shorebirds at point-blank range, and
Janice got several "life birds", including both the murrelets. Also, a flock
of 15 COMMON GOLDENEYES were my first of the fall- about 2 weeks later than
usual. I continued birding after leaving Lighthouse Marine Park, and added
lots of songbirds in various spots.

The entire list of 59 species at Point Roberts can be seen at
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S25905438 .

Good luck and good birding,

Wayne C. Weber

Delta, BC