[Tweeters] U.S. wintering site fidelity in RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRDS? (was: Tropical Kingbirds)

Pterodroma at aol.com Pterodroma at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 05:59:20 PST 2015

In a message dated 11/16/2015, Jeff Kozma writes:

>To further this thought, migration is hereditary in songbirds, not

learned...unlike in geese, cranes and swans where young follow adults on
migration paths. Thus, if a bird survives wintering in an area and returns to its
normal breeding grounds and is successful breeding, there is a good chance
that migration routes will be passed on genetically to its offspring. This
is believed to be the case with the increasing number of Rufous Hummingbirds
now wintering in the southeastern United States instead of making their
more traditional fall migrations to Mexico.

I saw this interesting eye catching post ten days or so ago regarding an
adult male Rufous Hummingbird BANDED in Jackson, Missouri (SE Missouri near
Cape Girardeau) last winter, only to return to the exact same spot and
feeder already this year. Amazing!

See: http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Mail/MOBIRDS-L/1834610?year=2015

...And writing of Rufous Hummingbirds, I was totally stunned to spot a
female Selasphorus hummingbird in my back yard and feeders this past Thursday
morning (19Nov). Probably a Rufous I suppose, but who knows, it didn't
stick around and hasn't been seen since. Otherwise, my last Rufous
Hummingbird of the 2015 season departed during the last week of September while the
last of a plethora of adult males departed literally enmass during the
afternoon of July 16.

Richard Rowlett
Bellevue (Eastgate), WA
_Pterodroma at aol.com_ (mailto:Pterodroma at aol.com)