[Tweeters] Updated cumulative county year list file available at WA Birder through end October 2015

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 14 19:44:01 PST 2015

Hi Tweeters & Inland NW Birders -

We've got the latest updated version of the 2015 County Year List Project up online at Washington Birder. All counties have reported in with totals through the end of October. As ever, County Compilers, especially for the under-birded counties, would appreciate receiving reports of any birds seen in their counties not yet noted on this spreadsheet.

The state year total is 391, one higher than last year at this point when we had 390. The 2013 total at this point was 394, and in 2012 we has 396.

Eastern WA has reported 319 species [vs 320 last year and 2012, 321 in 2013]
Western WA has reported 365 species, up 6 from last year’s 359 [higher than 2013’s 360, and the same as 2012’s 365]

Other than the half dozen or so new species that will be added to this total from recent sightings [King Eider, Summer Tanager, White Wagtail, Hooded Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Common Grackle], I’d say the most ‘common’ remaining species still plausible at this point in the year would be something like Emperor Goose. Most everything else has been seen. But then again, who knows what the storms are blowing into Neah Bay right now?

25 counties have higher totals than at this point last year, with only 14 bringing in lower totals.
30 counties are within ten species of their total from last year.

If you'd like to take a look at where things stand, the list and many other interesting files are at the Washington Birder website:

http://www.wabirder.com/ <http://www.wabirder.com/>

A direct link to the 2015 county yearlist & the list of county compilers, including a growing number of direct links to individual county year lists with more details and more frequent updates:

http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html <http://www.wabirder.com/county_yearlist.html>

Thanks to all the compilers and all those pitching in to sketch a picture of another year's birds in WA. Looking forward to seeing how 2015 wraps up!

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA