[Tweeters] How are Tropical Kingbirds being identified

Bruce Thompson bcthompson248 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 17:47:55 PST 2015

I have been seeing the reports of Tropical Kingbirds on Tweeters for a
number of days in several locations in WA. However, I haven't seen any
indications of how these birds are being identified to species. I have
birded several times in South Texas (Rio Grande Valley) and know the
difficulty of distinguishing Tropical Kingbirds from Couch's Kingbirds
unless a call is heard. So, it would be helpful to see a posting on
Tweeters that gives the characteristics that have allowed for these recent
Tropical Kingbird sightings to be declared among possibly several species
of similar "blown in" kingbirds. Thanks,
Bruce Thompson
Arlington, WA