[Tweeters] Mason County birding

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 11 15:20:31 PST 2015

Hey Tweets!

Spent most of a day out in the Mason looking for a few more birds. The first target was California Quail. I took a looooooong hike along the south side of Sanderson Field and the adjacent fairgrounds. The highlights were a couple of Red-breathed Sapsuckers, a Hermit Thrush, and a pair of quail that had me excited for .0001 seconds before I realized that they were "only" Mountain Quail! The two birds flushed up the trail, and then once more when I caught up to them. Best views ever of these guys and it was still just a glimpse as they scattered. Just a couple months away from realizing that seeing Mountain Quail is a pretty good day! lol. (I'm actually already there, but it's funny to be really hoping for California!).

The other highlights were a pair of Marbled Godwits at the mouth of the Skokomish, and a Merlin at Hunter Farms.

Lots of great winter seabirds and sparrows back everywhere and great weather all day!

Happy Birding!

Tim Brennan
Renton
Www.masoncountybirding.blogspot.com