[Tweeters] WOS trip 10 Nov 2015

B&PBell bellasoc at isomedia.com
Wed Nov 11 10:48:55 PST 2015

Hi Tweets

WOS took a field trip yesterday south of the Seattle area. The day started
out overcast and foggy with temperatures of about 44F. By the time we got
down to the Tacoma area the fog was mostly burned off and the overcast was
breaking up. Our first destination was Ruston Way, and when we pulled in to
the narrow parking lot east of the Old Ferry boat sales office and got out
of the car the female KING EIDER was just offshore. With good light we had
great looks, and after sitting around the bird started feeding. She would
dive down and come up with a small shore crab, and would proceed to rid it
of legs and then swallow the body. A nice bulge would show in her neck. Also
present were several HORNED GREBEs, one of which was just below us next to
the rocks - outstanding views. Three SURF SCOTERs were off-shore. Further
down near the ferry were a bunch of BARROW'S GOLDENEYEs, one COMMON
GOLDENEYE, and several RED-BREASTED MERGANSERs. A couple of DOUBLE-CRESTED
CORMORANTs flew by. Up on the shore was a group of CANADA GEESE and a single
SNOW GOOSE ( a juvenile). Three GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE were present
also, and a gaggle of AMERICAN WIGEON. We heard a DARK-EYED JUNCO. The wire
overhead had at least 70 perched ROCK PIGEONs. A HOUSE SPARROW hid in a
bush. A THAYER'S GULL was on a rock and 3 BLACK TURNSTONEs were along the
rocky shore.

Our next destination was the Nisqually NWR. As we started in the road into
the refuge we saw an adult BALD EAGLE across the field, and a RED-TAILED
HAWK was perched in a Cottonwood. A couple of AMERICAN CROWs were around,
and a ways down the road were harassing something in one of the conifers. We
stopped to check it out, but the probable raptor had left. The row of trees
did yield 2 BROWN CREEPERs, several GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETs, a BLACK-CAPPED
and a CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE. A flock of CACKLING GEESE flew over. We
parked and walked in toward the Visitor Center and scanned the pond -
several MALLARDs, 14 RING-NECKED DUCKs, a PIED-BILLED GREBE, HOODED
MERGANSER, and a few AMERICAN WIGEON. As we started our walk thru the refuge
we scanned the wet fields and saw hundreds of CACKLING GEESE, a few CANADA
GEESE, MALLARDS, NORTHERN PINTAILS, AMERICAN WIGEON, GREEN-WINGED TEAL and a
few NORTHERN SHOVELER. Way out in the top of a Willow were perched 2 WESTERN
MEADOWLARKs. As we walked along the boardwalk we heard, and then saw a
PACIFIC WREN, more ducks including HOODED MERGANSER. Further down the
boardwalk we heard MARSH WREN, and SONG SPARROW. In the distance were
perched two PEREGRINE FALCONs, and more distantly two adult and one juvenile
BALD EAGLEs. At the viewing platform by the Twin Barns we could see many
more of the earlier ducks plus GADWALL and AMERICAN COOT. A few
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERs were present. GREAT BLUE HERONs were scattered
around. Looking across the mudflats we saw a perched AMERICAN KESTREL.

Walking out to the marsh boardwalk we heard WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, SONG
SPARROW (and then saw one), and had SAVANNAH SPARROW flush from the grass.
Scanning the tidal channels we saw many AMERICAN WIGEON and one EURASIAN
WIGEON, a flock of BUFFLEHEAD, several more BALD EAGLEs, and 14 LEAST
SANDPIPERs. Several RING-BILLED and MEW GULLs were present, some
GLAUCOU-WINGED GULLs and many too distant to i.d. other gulls. AMERICAN
ROBINs flew over and a NORTHERN SHRIKE perched on a scrubby bush. A couple
of BELTED KINGFISHERs were working the area. Two female NORTHERN HARRIERs
were over the grassland part of the area. As we walked back to the car there
was a NORTHERN FLICKER in a treetop, several AMERICAN CROWs and a single
COMMON RAVEN. On the path there was a SONG SPARROW, FOX SPARROW, SPOTTED
TOWHEE and 5 GOLDEN-CROWNED SPARROWs.

We made a stop at Gog-Li-Hi-Tee, but missed on the Black-throated Blue
Warbler. It was very quiet, but we did have a COOPER'S HAWK fly out and
away. Several hundred gulls lifted off of the buildings but looked to be
exclusively GLAUCOUS-WINGs. A couple of EUROPEAN STARLINGs flew by.

It was a good day with good weather - we beat the rain that came in later in
the day. Good friends. We saw 60 species, including a couple of special ones
(King Eider life bird for some).

Good Birding!

Brian H. Bell

Woodinville WA

Mail to b e l l asoc a t iso media dot com