[Tweeters] Ocean Shores and Grays Harbor today, Tropical Kingbirds, etc.

bill shelmerdine georn1 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:12:56 PST 2015

Greetings,
Today my wife Katie and I spent several hours birding in Western Grays Harbor County. The weather was fantastic, sunny and clear, and the birds were cooperative. We started at 0900 at K Street and the Hoquiam Treatment Ponds. We then moved to Ocean Shores birding Point Brown Ave, Damon Point, and Point Brown Jetty. Highlights in the Hoquiam area included a Juvenile Rough Legged Hawk at K street and a Long-tailed duck at the Treatment Ponds.

At Ocean Shores we encountered 4 to 5 Tropical Kingbirds; two were along Point Brown Ave across from the mini storage, and later three were around the Silver King Motel and RV park at the base of Damon Point. On the return trip at least one was still foraging at the original location. We also walked to the end of Damon Point where three Pacific Golden Plover were near the tip, two Black Scoter and one Harlequin Duck were near the base. A Northern Shrike was in the open area just west of the parking area. Our last stop was at Point Brown Jetty. It was pretty quite on the ocean, but the rock-piper flock at the base of the jetty included roughly 35 Surfbirds, 15 Black Turnstones, 6 Rock Sandpipers, and a few Sanderlings. Complete lists have been posted to ebird.

Cheers and good birding,
Bill Shelmerdine
Olympia