[Tweeters] Port Townsend Field Trip 11/7/15

Phil Kelley scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 11:37:03 PST 2015

Tweets,

Yesterday I led a "Hard Core Birder" field trip from Olympia to Port
Townsend and points in between. 6 of us started at 6:00 AM in Olympia,
stopped at the 6th Ave Park & Ride in Tacoma and picked up 2 more folks and
proceeded on from there. Not bad weather until we cross the Narrows Bridge
when we had intermittent rain, sometimes heavy, through Gorst, Kitsap
Memorial State Park and Salisbury Point. Once we crossed the Hood Canal
Bridge we left the rain behind us.

When we got to Oak Bay County Park we got gusty winds and white caps on the
sound. That lasted until we got to Ft Flagler Campgound when the wind died
down.

Despite the weather we had a great day with most of our target birds. At
Gorst we picked up 20 species of waterfowl and gulls. At Kitsap Memorial
Park we hit the loons and grebes and picked up most of the passerines we
saw on the trip. We had COMMON and RED-THROATED LOONS, and HORNED, WESTERN
and RED-NECKED GREBES on the water and CHICKADEES and KINGLETS in the firs
as well as PACIFIC WREN and VARIED THRUSH in the undergrowth. We heard
FLICKER, RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH and STELLER'S JAY here, also.

At Salisbury Point we added MARBLED MURRELET, PIGEON GUILLEMOT, and RHINO
AUKLET.

At Oak Bay we found a EURASIAN WIGEON among the other ducks there and, to
our surprise, there were a pair of BLACK OYSTERCATCHERS and BLACK
TURNSTONES on the breakwater. Apparently the wind and chop didn't bother
them as much as it did us. Not saying it was winds but we had scopes blow
over.

On the parade field at Ft Flagler State Park we had DUNLIN and
BLAKE-BELLIED PLOVER as well as a couple of COMMON RAVENS.

At the campground we had a couple thousand shorebirds that included
BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER, DUNLIN and SANDERLING. Out in the sound were
HARLEQUIN DUCKS and a couple of LONG-TAILED DUCKS. We got good, if distant,
scope views of the LONG-TAILED DUCKS.

At Point Hudson we got better views of BLACK TURNSTONES, BLACK
OYSTERCATCHERS, and LONG-TAILED DUCKS. We watched a DOUBLE-CREASTED
CORMORANT somehow swallow a sculpin that was bigger than it's head. Took a
while but down it went.

At Ki-tai Lagoon we added RUDDY DUCK and another EURASIAN WIGEON to our
list.

For the day we had 63 species with the LONG-TAILED DUCKS, BLACK
OYSTERCATCHERS, and HARLEQUIN DUCKS being the highlights.

Thanks to all who participated and the weather really turned out much
better than I anticipated.

Phil Kelley
scrubjay323 at gmail.com
Lacey, WA