[Tweeters] Mason County pheasants

Tim Brennan tsbrennan at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:21:02 PST 2015

Hey Mary!

Saw the point about pheasants, and I do talk about that in the blog. It's pretty unlikely that pheasants have any sustained population in the soggy-ness of Mason County. That's the thinking that a fellow from the WFDW had passed along to me. The disappearance of pheasants back in the spring and the sudden reappearance of them in the fall totally fits that model. It's a tongue-in-cheek bird to some extent, for a county where it is listed as a code 2 bird and where most attempts at a year list will include a pheasant in there somewhere. I drew the line at Northwestern Crow, which is also on the county list somehow. Wild Turkey and Northern Bobwhite have also shown up on the lists!

But I'll do what Mary may have been trying to do, and call garbage on pheasant! Haha. I have a month or two to hunt down some more birds and will withhold my excitement (which wasn't that high with this bird).

There's even an off-chance that I could break the record with a seen list! That list is at 177 now, with only Western Screech-Owl and Northern Pygmy Owl (and Mr Pheasant) as heard-only birds.

Cara Borre is sitting at 177 for the year too, so I'm sure we're going to find a few more to give everyone an interesting run into December!

Happy Birding!

Tim Brennan
Somewhere under an asterisk in Renton. :D