[Tweeters] Magnuson Park, 29 May 2015

Scott Ramos lsr at ramoslink.info
Fri May 29 22:13:05 PDT 2015

With temps starting in the mid-50s and little wind, it was shirt-sleeve weather from the start. With so much summer-like weather, a little rain would be nice to postpone drying up the wetlands. Somehow, it seemed quieter today, although there was plenty to look at. As usual, the first birds (even before 4:00) were the Violet-green Swallows. They are mostly up high, but while I was standing on the road waiting for the Barn Owls, a couple swallows flew within a meter of my head, as they cruised down the road.

California Quail - calling from just north of the fins
Pied-billed Grebe - two were calling (to each other?) from adjacent ponds
Cooper’s Hawk - still on nest
California Gull - 3 first year birds flying separately from the other gulls
Glaucous-winged Gull - normally seen in ones and twos, today there was a group of close to 20 birds swirling in a thermal for more than 10 minutes
Eurasian Collared-Dove - one, making long flights back and forth along the N-S trail
Barn Owl - 2 juveniles still branching outside the box by the tennis center, calling constantly; 2 more were flying around the community center building, occasionally landing on the box
Rufous Hummingbird - at least 10, surpassing my previous high for Magnuson of 3; none, interestingly, were adult males
Olive-sided Flycatcher - calling from the Sand Point neighborhood
Willow Flycatcher - calling from the NOAA grounds
Cliff Swallow - many were apparently working on nests on one of the hangar buildings
Western Tanager - north end
Lazuli Bunting - Kite Hill
Bullock’s Oriole - a pair were flying around the cottonwoods at the NOAA fence line
Pine Siskin - 2 still around

For the day, 57 species.
Checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23694478 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23694478>
Scott Ramos