[Tweeters] Black Swifts at Snoqualmie Falls

Kelly McAllister mcallisters4 at comcast.net
Fri May 29 08:52:15 PDT 2015

I see and hear Vaux's Swift every work day walking into or out from the
WSDOT headquarters building on the Capitol campus in Olympia. They're always
circling the south Capitol neighborhood. I've seen good numbers emerging
from a chimney in this neighborhood but I don't remember much about entries
to chimneys. Yesterday I saw a swift come in above a chimney and stall,
almost like a kestrel doing a hover, before dropping into the chimney. For
some reason, I was thinking that they plunged head first into chimneys.
Sometime I need to watch the mass entries that I've heard about. I have to
believe that swifts are probably nesting in some of the chimneys in the
south Capitol neighborhood (at least, some of them) since it seems a bit
late for them to still be in migration mode????

Kelly McAllister
Olympia, Washington