[Tweeters] where are all these Bullock's orioles coming from?

Bob rflores_2 at msn.com
Mon May 25 18:26:41 PDT 2015

I have been birding Frenchman's Bar Reg. Park for a few years now and just downstream from there for many years. Through those years I had two years, 2007 and 2014, each with one occasion where I tallied double digit numbers for buor. This year I have had 6 days where I have tallied well over double digits and two other days within 1-2 birds of reaching double digits. In the short term is it the drought of California and the poor habitat that awaits migrants? Maybe in the longer grand scheme of things this is more of a global warming issue. Yes I recognize maybe that is why California is where they are but that second suggestion suggests a much longer impact that has led us to where we are to day. California is a recent issue. Let's face it when I moved to Clark Co in 2006 Eurasian collared dove was a new County bird and worth noting. Western scrub jays were around here and there but now you can not go into any habitat and not find one more than likely it will be several. Back to my comment about California's habitats being in such poor conditions this is why I think we had record numbers of early birds. Crap they needed food!

Thoughts to ponder.

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA