[Tweeters] #202 Western screech-owl, Vancouver, Clark Co, WA

Bob rflores_2 at msn.com
Mon May 25 18:05:19 PDT 2015

I was not sure about posting this one and that explanation is coming. To make a short story long my daughter, Amanda, had a son, Calvin, little over 4 weeks ago her husband had to work out of town so she and my beautiful grandson (first by the way) came to stay with Cindy and I so we could help out. Well about 2:30 am today I heard Calvin crying so I got up and rocked him to sleep while mom went back to sleep. At about 4:10 am he was hungry and I passed him to mom and headed out the door to look for the owl. TOLD YOU IT WAS A LONG STORY. Randy Hill had told me of a location a friends house where he had been hearing a screech-owl. Now this was some time in the past and I had been to the location twice already with no luck. But out the door I went and by 4:25 am I was sitting in the car listening. Almost immediately I heard what I thought was a single hoot then a again so I stood outside the car and listened and a third hoot came. I was still not 100% on it due to the urban environment and it's noises. Then at 4:35 am the owl did the ping pong ball trill and I was fist pumping the air. Now I have to thank Randy Hill and his friend for turning me on to this bird. I also have to thank my grandson Calvin for being at our place and stirring me into action.

Because this is Randy's friend and contact I am not going to post the location even though it is a street in a neighborhood. I will allow Randy's friend to make that call. If he has not problem with cagy guys or gals like me hanging out on the street at abnormal hours then I or someone will post the location. And now you know the rest of the story.

Good Birding

Bob Flores
Ridgefield, WA