[Tweeters] Shrieking Osprey over N. Matthews Beach this morning

Barbara Deihl barbdeihl at comcast.net
Sat May 23 14:01:54 PDT 2015

It took me awhile to figure out that it was an Osprey soaring, hovering, diving and screaming up in the sky over my house/neighborhood, this morning at around 10:30 or 11 a.m. - I've never noted one here before - the call was unfamiliar - definitely an alarm call - hard to catch any field marks because it was so high up for the first 15 min. it was agitatedly circling. It called continuously for that entire first 15 min. Finally, after another 10 minutes, it cruised a bit lower and I could see the white underneath and the dark wrist patches. It would keep tucking in its wings and diving lower but rising up again after each dive. In the 5 min. before it stopped screaming, it came lower and then, disappeared, and a second bird could be heard responding to the first one.
I'm thinking that one of our local Bald Eagles may have been threatening some Osprey young in a nearby nest. There have been reports of a returned Osprey at Magnuson Park, so I suppose there could be a nest in the area.
Anyone know of a nest there?

Barb Deihl
barbdeihl at comcast.net