[Tweeters] Edmonds Roundup

Carol Riddell cariddellwa at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:38:10 PDT 2015

During May we have watched the departure of the Brants, most ducks, grebes, cormorants, and Mew Gulls from the Edmonds waterfront. A couple of male Harlequin Ducks are hanging out on the logs tethered in the underwater park, just north of the ferry dock.

We have had some good sightings. Around the marsh there was a brief presence of a Sage Thrasher (code 5), a Cinnamon Teal drake (code 3), three Blue-winged Teals (code 3), 2 California Quails (code 3), a Long-billed Dowitcher (code 3), a Spotted Sandpiper (code 3), Purple Martins (code 3) and several American Pipits (code 3).

For the neotropic migrants, in early May a Nashville Warbler (code 4) was heard singing in a neighborhood, mixed in with some Townsend’s Warblers. We have seen Western Wood-Pewee (code 1), Warbling Vireos (code 1), Northern Rough-winged Swallows (code 3), Swainson’s Thrush (code 2), Yellow Warbler (code 2), Wilson’s Warbler (code 1), Western Tanager (code 2), and Black-headed Grosbeak (code 2). We have had several fallout days of Savannah Sparrows, with estimates of 20 birds on one day and 30 on another.

In the next several weeks we anticipate that the numbers of California Gulls will increase substantially. Heermann’s Gulls will arrive some time in June. We have seen Purple Martins around the marsh a couple of times. They are probably either heading through or coming from the nest boxes on the Point Wells pilings, to the south of Edmonds. I have been keeping an eye on the Olympic Beach nest boxes that we mounted last month. So far I have not seen any martins around them.

We are at 143 species for our collective year list.

Carol Riddell
Edmonds