[Tweeters] Am. Goldfinch diet

L Markoff canyoneaglej at gmail.com
Thu May 21 05:30:04 PDT 2015

Hi Tweeters,

I have seen American Goldfinches eat dandelion leaves in my Vienna,
Virginia, yard, and Lesser Goldfinches eat Cutleaf Daisy (Engelmannia
peristenia), leaves in my Austin, TX, yard.​ They seem to enjoy "salad"
and other items on occasion. Here's a snippet from BNA (Birds of North
America):

"In spring, consumes buds and strips bark from terminal shoots, presumably
in search of specific nutrients (ALAM). Known to consume other items as
varied as green algae (*Spirogyra porticalis*; Dorsey 1963
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/080/articles/species/080/biblio/bib018>,
Kilham 1980
<http://bna.birds.cornell.edu/bna/species/080/articles/species/080/biblio/bib040>)
and maple sap (Muzny 1982