[Tweeters] Am. Goldfinch diet

Greg Pluth gjpluth at gmail.com
Thu May 21 00:45:04 PDT 2015

For a number of weeks now, a (mated?) pair of Goldfinches has been
frequenting the sunflower feeder hanging in my small apple tree. Today the
male perched on a branch near the female on the feeder. From my kitchen
window 20' away I watched as he reached out to pull off a small bit leaf
tip, "chew," then swallow; snip, chew, swallow; snip, chew, swallow. Lasted
about 20 seconds until they both bolted for the maple across the yard.

In my short research, including John K. Terres who provides much diet info
per species, I found no mention of Am. Goldfinch eating leafy things -
plenty of seeds and some berries, and even an insect or two, but not leafy
things. [?]How long-ong, has this been goin' on? Are more autopsies
necessary?

Anyone?