[Tweeters] Gulled by the Gulls

Jason Hernandez jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 20:59:58 PDT 2015

Most of our large gulls are of that complex, Glaucous-winged, Western, or hybrids thereof (i.e. "Olympic Gull"). I have gotten to the point that, unless a given large gull is clearly Glaucous-winged, I just put it down as "Glaucous-winged/Western/Hybrid" and leave it at that. The problem there is, we do also get Thayer's Gulls, and (allegedly) Herring Gulls. My field guides are not of much help in distinguishing Thayer's from the "Olympic;" and it doesn't help that Ameican Bird Conservatory puts it on a different page, so that comparison is just that much harder. Does anyone know what to look for to tell a Thayer's (or Herring) gull from our "Olympic Gull" hybrid complex?
Jason Hernandez
jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com

More information about the Tweeters mailing list