[Tweeters] Pierce County Yellow-headed Blackbirds

Marcus Roening marcus at rainierconnect.com
Mon May 18 15:47:52 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

Bruce LaBar, Wayne Sladek, Heather & I did a Pierce County for the Tahoma Audubon Society Birdathon on May 17. The most unexpected sightings were of 2 different sets of YELLOW-HEADED BLACKBIRDS.
We located a male in a new set of retention ponds off of River Road, with the official address of 6874 16th Ave NW. Later in the day we found a group of 4 females on the fence line in the fields toward the river in the area of 16819 92nd St E. You can see the exact locations in eBird.
We ended up with 117 birds for the day, only 8 behind my average when I lead the trip to Moses Lake. Of course, I didn’t get to see stilts and avocets on this adventure.

A few highlights:

Purdy Spit – Marbled Murrelets and a group of 14 young Common Goldeneyes - the latter a bird I rarely see on Birdathon.
Puyallup River 11th St. bridge – the long staying Slaty-backed Gull - first for Birdathon.
Downtown Tacoma 11th St. bridge – Pair of copulating Peregrine Falcons at the top of an office building – second time I’ve been so lucky
ShaDax wetlands in Fife – 3 Green Herons chasing each other
Mitigation Pond off of River Road in Puyallup – male Yellow-headed Blackbird, Ruddy Duck and spotted Spotted Sandpipers
Edge of the JBLM 13th division prairie – Western Meadowlarks & Western Bluebirds – no Vesper Sparrows this time
South Prairie Foothills trail – Lazuli Buntings and 2 Northern Harriers – the first harriers I’ve seen in the county since 1995 at Kreger Lake.
Riverside Road just south of Sumner – 3 singing Lesser Goldfinches and a bit further down the road, 4 female Yellow-headed Blackbirds.

It was a great day to be out enjoying the birds. All of the sightings are posted in eBird, so you can check on any of the exact locations by using the Explore option and then looking by either location or species.

Good Birding,

Marcus Roening
Tacoma WA