[Tweeters] Snoqualmie Valley

Adam Crutcher acrut44 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 18:25:55 PDT 2015

Toda,y Jason Vassallo and I birded multiple sites along the Snoqualmie
River Valley. We went from Tolt MacDonald Park up to Crescent Lake.

Tolt MacDonald produced Hammond's Flycatcher, Spotted Sanpipers, Western
Wood-Pewee, and a Varied Thrush near the bridge crossing but otherwise did
not have much activity.

We then headed up to Stillwater where we heard American Bittern, Sora, and
Virginia Rails. We also saw bank swallows at the river and Lazuli Buntings
in the meadow.

Next up was Monroe Prison ponds. The water level was so low that most of
the pond was not visible because the grass was so tall. All of the decoy's
from the pond were on the banks. Still we saw a few pairs of Blue-winged
teals and a Bank Swallow. Many ducks were most likely obscured by the tall
grass.

Crescent Lake was our last stop where we found a nice Bullock's Oriole
group along with Swainson's Thrush and a group of Wood Ducks and Cinnamon
Teal. Near where the Rusty Blackbird was reported this last winter was a
big foraging flock that consisted of Orange-crowned, Wilson's, Yellow,
Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Gray Warblers along with Pacific-Slope
Flycatcher, Warbling Vireo, and a Cassin's Vireo singing nonstop and
carrying nesting material. I have had horrible luck with Cassin's Vireos
over the years and was very excited to find one that might be nesting at
the wildlife area. Overall a great day with over 80 species seen.

Adam Crutcher