[Tweeters] Western Tanager, West Seattle

Tucker, Trileigh TRI at seattleu.edu
Fri May 15 12:42:46 PDT 2015

Hi Tweets,

A gorgeous male Western Tanager appeared in my yard this morning; quite a lovely sight to start the day. He appears to be in transitional plumage, which sounds appropriate for this time of year. (Photo at <https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/> flickr.com/photos/trileigh<https://www.flickr.com/photos/trileigh/>.)

Cornell’s Allaboutbirds says they like fresh and dried fruit. How “fresh” is fresh? Can I put out aging fruit that’s too old for us humans; is that both appealing and safe for them? And the only specific fruit given by Cornell is oranges; do they like most kinds of fruit?

This is a first yard encounter with them, so I’d welcome any suggestions. (I do have a birdbath, which may have been what drew him initially.)

Good birding to you,
Trileigh

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Trileigh Tucker
Pelly Valley, West Seattle
Natural history blog: naturalpresence<naturalpresencearts.com>arts.com<naturalpresencearts.com>
Photography: flickr.com/photos/trileigh