[Tweeters] Bowerman Basin Knots

Jerry Broadus jbroadus at seanet.com
Wed May 13 18:04:02 PDT 2015

Thought I would report on the shorebird count this morning at Bowerman Basin (count is for the refuge records). Very good morning, considering how late it is in the "season" for this location this time in the Spring. I saw only two other people there (who were also refuge volunteers) but good bird morning, between 7,000 and 8,000 shorebirds (not comparable with the counts during festival weekend, but still interesting). Black Bellied and Semi-Palmated Plover, Western and Least Sand, Whimbrel, Greater Yellowlegs, Dunlin. Most interesting to me were 1,100 Red Knots, some very close, including one with a flag on its leg.

Jerry Broadus
Puyallup, WA