[Tweeters] Diving Ducklings?

Louis Kreemer lpkreemer at gmail.com
Mon May 11 13:08:30 PDT 2015

Hey Tweeters, a walk around Green Lake did not turn up any of the winter birds that are normally abundant, and today was the first day I didn’t see a single Yellow-Rumped Warbler walking around it. A fairly low number of birds all in all as well, but spring was evident. I saw a single Wilson’s Warbler, and lots Golden Crowned Kinglets, including seven young from one clutch up in a tree begging for food from the tired parents. The racket they made was impressive for their size!
There was one particular thing that caught my eye, and that was a clutch of Mallard ducklings, about a week old, that were diving to the lakes’ bottom for plant material. I have never seen ducklings dive, but perhaps it is a normal eating habit of theirs? At any rate, it was very cool to watch them all constantly kicking as hard as they could to stay underwater. The record length that they stayed under was only about three seconds, but I still thought it was cool that they were strong enough to dive under with their buoyant little bodies. Pretty funny!

Good Birding,

Louis
Seattle