[Tweeters] Hummer chasing fluff, Bob Sundstrom trip, etc... / Caryn Wedgwood

Caryn Schutzler bluedarner1 at seanet.com
Sun May 10 10:37:42 PDT 2015

Good morning, Tweeters and Happy Mother's Day!

This morning, I heard my husband chuckle from the kitchen. He was watching a hummer, after dropping a piece of fluff to the deck chase it around, the "wind" from it's wings push it further and further. He said it reminded him of me chasing a tiny feather down a road recently in Othello. I succeeded retrieving it, the hummer just went back to the fluff ball for more.

I must also mention the amazing trip I took (my first) with Bob Sundstrom to Scatter Creek and surrounds south of Olympia. I know so many of you have taken his trips. His dedication and superb "ear" helped me to see many new birds I'd not seen before including a Hermit Warbler, Black-throated Gray Warbler, Orange Crowned Warbler and a female Sooty Grouse (perched patiently to find in binocs once viewed thru Bob finding her in his scope) just to name a few. Oh, a Common Yellowthroat, too. (Did I really have to go to Tenino to see one?) I both saw and "heard" simultaneously - learned to both listen and hear the different calls/songs. It's always fun to see the birds bill open, actually creating the sound coming out.
Bob not only went above and beyond in the bird world but also the traffic jam he persevered getting us all safely home. (I was able to spot a Red Tailed Hawk on a tpole since we were going so slow!)

Also want to mentioned having lunch at his beautiful home where he had a Rufous hummer waiting for us as well as Black headed Grosbeaks...so many beautiful birds to match the gorgeous weather.

We have been seeing the GC Kinglets bathe in our ground bbath. Has anyone ever heard of them nesting by chance in ivy (I know they typically nest in spruce) or even a cavity? I don't see them flying off from the bath so wondering if they are nesting quite close.

Well out to plant some flowers to see who will visit my garden today - I'll be listening more intently too!

Caryn / Wedgwood