[Tweeters] B&W Warbler today

Jim Danzenbaker jdanzenbaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:10:18 PDT 2015

Tweeters,

I arrived at St. Cloud Park on Highway 14 in Skamania County at about 6:05
this morning and first heard the BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER at about 6:20 from
a grove of trees in the center of the orchard (next to a worn foot path).
I heard it 3-4 times and then it went silent. Later, at about 6:35 it
started singing again and continued on and off until about 6:55 when it
stopped. I never saw the bird and I believe that it spends all its time
fairly high in the trees so that locating it is quite difficult. I wasn't
sure I could even figure out which tree it was in! I believe that it moved
from the grove in the center of the park to a stand of trees near the
entrance to the park (closer to the northwest corner) near a sign and the
rest rooms. It appears to have a pattern of singing only between about 6-7
(maybe it starts at 5am!) so arrive as early as possible. After that,
nothing. This bird sings a very weak song so if you go expecting a
persistent fairly easy to hear song, think again. I initially sat on a
picnic table on the northeast side of the park thinking that I would hear
it if it sang. Uh, no. I moved to another picnic table on the south
central part of the park and only heard it then and would not have heard it
from the northeast corner. I was only about 70 feet away from it and
couldn't hear it very well. Even when I was standing within 30 feet of it,
I had a hard time figuring out where it was - a weaker than usual song. If
it's actively feeding, it's not doing it visibly. Other warblers included
MacGillivray's, Black-throated Gray, Yellow, Orange-crowned, Wilson's and
Common Yellowthroat.

Keep your eyes and ears skyward.

Jim Danzenbaker
Battle Ground, WA

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 4:22 PM, Steve Pink <pirangas at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> Three of us travelled down from Edmonds to look for the Black and White

> Warbler this morning. In nearly 2 hours, from about 7:45 a.m. We heard it

> singing once, lasting less than a minute, at the eastern end of the

> orchard. Very frustrating.

> Cheers, Steve

> Steve Pink Edmonds, WA mailto: pirangas at hotmail.com

Jim Danzenbaker