[Tweeters] Caracara diet

Rob Conway robin_birder at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 21 23:52:51 PDT 2015

In there usual territory Caracara eat not only reptiles and small rodents but a lot of carrion and roadkill. I've seen dozens on dead cattle in Mexico. In Florida the regular visitors are definitely reptile hunters and I've seen them in Brazil with large iguanas in tow. The visiting? bird that frequented the Northern California coast for quite a period was seen feeding on all kinds of carrion - from salmon to seals - as well as occasional small mammals. Like Bud I'd be very interested in hearing about what the bird is feeding on here.
Rob

Rob Conway
Camas, WA
45.58°N 122.44°W - elevation 310 ft.