[Tweeters] Re:Weird Purple Martin Behavior

stan Kostka lynn Schmidt lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 21 20:46:52 PDT 2015

Hi Dave, I have seen martins take over tree swallow nests many times, by throwing eggs out, by throwing young out, and sometimes building a new nest right on top of swallow eggs or nestlings. You say you've not seen a male, but it is almost certain that at least one, and likely more, of the female type martins are in fact subadult males (born last year), which do breed if they can attract a female. Subadult male plumage is similar to that of females in ways, but there are subtle differences. Males do not acquire their namesake all purple, blue-black plumage until after their second year. If any of the birds is singing the long courtship song that ends with clicking sounds, it is a male. Females call, and chortle to some extent, but they do not sing that particular song. Thanks for posting and I will be interested to know how things progress there.

Stan Kostka
lynnandstan at earthlink.net
Arlington