[Tweeters] Weird Purple Martin Behavior

David Parent dpdvm at whidbey.com
Sun Jun 21 20:16:56 PDT 2015

Hello Tweeters!

Earlier this summer, one of the plastic Martin gourds I set up on my beach on Dines Point, Whidbey Island, was occupied by a Tree Swallow pair. Last week, four female-type Purple Martins showed up, tossed the Tree Swallow nestlings out and began building their own nests in two of the gourds. They remain like they own the place, all sing a very loud song, sometimes duetting, and we have never seen a male. I am completely unfamiliar with Martins and would appreciate any ideas about this behavior.

Dave Parent, Greenbank, WA

Sent from my iPad