[Tweeters] to boldly go where no sparrow has gone before

Rob Sandelin nwnature1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 09:48:50 PDT 2015

I came upstairs to the main floor of my house and found a song sparrow calmly sitting on the couch. I had left the screen door open to the deck and it wandered in. I figured it would go out the same way so I left it to its own devices. I was tempted to turn on the tv to see its reaction but didn’t. Came back a hour later and it was on the kitchen counter eating bread crumbs I had left behind from lunch. I warned the sparrow that those crumbs were considered by the mice mafia in my house to be there property but the bird didn’t seem too concerned. Yet later the bird was in the bathroom, poking around the laundry basket. The bird spent most the day wandering around various rooms in the house, and finally at dusk, it flew back outside. As far as I have found so far, it only pooped twice, both on the bathroom tile, easy clean up. If all birds were this considerate I’d have them over all the time.

Rob Sandelin

In the forest and gardens

Snohomish County