[Tweeters] caracara

Matt Bartels mattxyz at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 09:49:27 PDT 2015

Hi all-

Regarding origin, the question is defnitely out there. The Seventh WBRC report spends about a page discussing this question for WA - I'd recommend checking it out at:

http://wos.org/WBRC7.pdf

[see page 26 once there].

Short version - three previous reports of Crested Caracara have been accepted by the WBRC as likely of wild origin after studying patterns of vagrancy in Caracara, especially in the west. One difference between this current sighting and all three earlier records: All of those were coastal sightings and the location of this one might raise different questions. Not sure whether or why, but the coastal location of the earlier records is part of the discussion in the WBRC 7 report.

In any case - Caracaras are a species that has shown up all over N. America, so vagrancy isn't all that unexpected.

Nothing formal in this, and I'm guessing there will be discussion at the fall WBRC meeting about this one as well. But I'm sure headed up there as soon as possible [hopefully today if I can skip out of work soon....]

Matt Bartels
Seattle, WA